Jules Chandler (The Thyroid Expert) and all members of The Thyroid Collective Ltd are committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Jules Chandler and registered members of The Thyroid Collective Ltd act as Data Controllers and Processors. This policy explains how we use the information we collect about you.
HOW WE OBTAIN YOUR PERSONAL DATA
Information we get from you
You provide us with personal data in the following ways:
- By completing an initial case intake form
- By signing a terms of engagement form
- During a nutritional therapy consultation
- Through email, over the telephone or by post
- By taking online payments
This may include the following information:
- Basic details such as name, address, contact details and next of kin
- Details of contact we have had with you such as referrals and appointment requests
- Health information including your previous medical history, dietary, lifestyle, supplement and medicine details, biochemical test results and clinic notes
- Health improvement plans
- GP contact information
- Bank details
We use this information in order to provide you with direct healthcare. This means that the legal basis of our holding your personal data is for legitimate interest.
Following completion of your healthcare we retain your personal data for the period defined by our professional association, BANT and registrant body, CNHC. This enables us to process any complaint you may make. In this case the legal basis of our holding your personal data is for contract administration.
Information we get from other sources
We may obtain sensitive medical information in the form of test results from biochemical testing companies. We use this information in order to provide you with direct healthcare. This means that the legal basis of our holding your personal data is for legitimate interest.
We may obtain sensitive information from other healthcare providers. The provision of this information is subject to you giving us your express consent. If we do not receive this consent from you, we will not be able to coordinate your healthcare with that provided by other providers which means the healthcare provided by us may be less effective.
HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
We act as a data controller for use of your personal data to provide direct healthcare. We also act as a controller and processor in regard to the processing of your data from third parties such as testing companies and other healthcare providers. We act as a data controller and processor in regard to the processing of online payments.
We undertake at all times to protect your personal data, including any health and contact details, in a manner which is consistent with our duty of professional confidence and the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) concerning data protection. We will also take reasonable security measures to protect your personal data storage.
We may use your personal data where there is an overriding public interest in using the information, e.g. in order to safeguard an individual or to prevent a serious crime and also where there is a legal requirement such as a formal court order. We may use your data for marketing purposes such as newsletters but this would be subject to you giving us your express consent to do so.
DO YOU SHARE MY INFORMATION WITH OTHER ORGANISATIONS?
We will keep information about you confidential. We will only disclose your information with other third parties with your express consent with the exception of the following categories of third parties:
- Our registrant body, CNHC and our professional association, BANT, for the processing of a complaint made by you
- Any contractors and advisors who provide a service to us or act as our agents on the understanding that they keep the information confidential
- Anyone to whom we may transfer our rights and duties under any agreement we have with you
- Any legal or crime prevention agencies and/or to satisfy any regulatory request (e.g. CNHC) if we have a duty to do so or if the law allows us to do so.
We may share your information with supplement companies and biochemical testing companies as part of providing you with direct healthcare. We will not include any sensitive information. We will seek your express consent before sharing your information with your GP or other healthcare providers. However, if we believe that your life is in danger then we may pass your information onto an appropriate authority (such as the police, social services in the case of a child or vulnerable adult or GP in case of self-harm) using the legal basis of vital interests.
We may share your case history in an anonymised form with our peers for the purpose of professional development. This may be at clinical supervision meetings, conferences, online forums and through publishing in medical journals, trade magazines or online professional sites. We will seek your explicit consent before processing your data in this way.
WHAT ARE YOUR RIGHTS?
Every individual has the right to see, amend, delete or have a copy of data held that can identify you, with some exceptions. You do not need to give a reason to see your data. If you want to access your data you must make a subject access request in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org
Under special circumstances, some information may be withheld. We shall respond within 20 working days from the point of receiving the request and all necessary information from you. Our response will include the details of the personal data we hold on you including:
- Sources from which we acquired the information
- The purposes of processing the information
- Persons or entities with whom we are sharing the information
You have the right, subject to exemptions, to ask to:
- Have your information deleted
- Have your information corrected or updated where it is no longer accurate
- Ask us to stop processing information about you where we are not required to do so by law or in accordance with the BANT and CNHC guidelines
- Receive a copy of your personal data, which you have provided to us in structured, commonly used and machine readable format and you have the right to transmit that data to another controller without hindrance from us
- Object at any time to the processing of personal data concerning you
We do not carry out any automated processing which may lead to automated decision based on your personal data.
If you would like to invoke any of the above rights then please write to the Data Controller, email@example.com
You also have the right to raise a complaint with the ICO if you are unhappy with the way we have collected, stored or used your personal data.
WHAT SAFEGUARDS ARE IN PLACE TO ENSURE DATA THAT IDENTIFIES ME IS SECURE?
We only use information that may identify you in accordance with GDPR. This requires us to process personal data only if there is a legitimate basis for doing so and that any processing must be fair and lawful.
Within the health sector, we also have to follow the common law duty of confidence which means that, where identifiable information about you has been given in confidence, it should be treated as confidential and only shared for the purpose of providing direct healthcare. We will protect your information, inform you of how your information will be used and allow you to decide if and how your information can be shared.
We also ensure the information we hold is kept in secure locations, restrict access to information to authorised personnel only, protect personal and confidential information held on equipment such as laptops with encryption (which masks data so that unauthorised users cannot see or make sense of it). We ensure external data processors who support us are legally and contractually bound to operate and prove security arrangements are in place where data that could or does identify a person is processed.
HOW LONG DO YOU HOLD CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION FOR?
All records held by The Thyroid Expert will be kept for the duration specified by guidance from our professional associations BANT and CNHC.
OUR MAILING LIST
We operate an email mailing list, which is our primary way of sharing information about upcoming relevant events, blog posts, special offers, or useful recipes or tips, all relating to thyroid function and health. Subscribers must give their consent to be added to the list and may unsubscribe at any time through a service as detailed in the footer of all sent marketing messages. The type and content of marketing messages subscribers receive is clearly outlined at the point of subscription.
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties.
Email marketing messages may contain tracking beacons / tracked clickable links or similar server technologies in order to track subscriber activity within email marketing messages. Where used, such marketing messages may record a range of subscriber data relating to engagement, geographic, demographics and already stored subscriber data. Access to member information is strictly controlled and the Mailchimp account can only be accessed by people who need to do their job – it is only made visible to members of staff who have a reason to work with it.
Your data is always held securely. Access to customer information is strictly controlled and the Eventbrite account can only be accessed by people who need to do their job – it is only made visible to members of staff who have a reason to work with it.
We collect the following information via Calendly in order to schedule your consultations and follow-up appointments:
- Email address
- Video platform details (Zoom, FaceTime, Skype)
- Telephone number
We purely use this information to communicate with you about and between consultations/appointments for the purposes of fulfilling our 1:1 agreement. Access to this information is once again strictly controlled.
INFORMATION COLLECTED WHEN USING OUR WEBSITE
- Our website is hosted by SiteGround.
- Most web browsers allow some control of most cookies through the browser settings. To find out more about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set and how to manage and delete them, visit www.allaboutcookies.org .To opt out of being tracked by Google Analytics across all websites visit https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout
- If you do not want your information to be shared through cookies, you can disable them in your browser.
- We only collect certain personal information about you if you provide your details when using the website, for example if you complete a contact form.
EXTERNAL WEBSITES AND LINKS
- Although we only aim to include quality, safe and relevant external links, users are advised to adopt a policy of caution before clicking any external web links.
- We cannot guarantee or verify the contents of any externally linked website despite our best efforts. Users should therefore note they click on external links at their own risk and we cannot be held liable for any damages or implications caused by visiting any external links mentioned.